Monday, March 16, 2015

All smiles when Grandpa is around!




So ya!  This has been on my mind and I know I need to document our life's blessings and challenges for our family and friends.  Rick and I will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this week in Sin City. Viva Las Vegas Baby!  I am actually pretty excited to make some memories with this great guy. Everything has not been Peaches and Cream in our life, but man o man, it has been worth it.  We have seen many miracles in our life together and have a firm testimony that our Heavenly Father is aware of us and our needs.  We have been the recipient of so many tender mercies and know there are angels among us every day.  We have five awesome children and six gorgeous grand-daughters (who are definitely Grandpa's girls) with a new baby (gender unknown as of today) coming in August.  

I have decided to keep a blog to keep family members and friends updated on Rick's progressive challenges with PKD (Poly Cystic Kidney Disease).  About 23 years ago, Rick was diagnosed with PKD and told that he would need a kidney transplant in ten to fifteen years.  So, there is a miracle in itself that he has been able to go this long.  We are now knocking on the door of a transplant.  His creatinine is at 4.0 (normal is .06-1.2 in adult males)  His kidneys are currently functioning at 16%.  Because PKD is the silent killer,  you don't realize the person is sick.  We knew it was coming, but hoped for more time.  Rick will be listed for transplant within the next couple of weeks. 

 We attended Kidney school a few weeks back and life became very real for us.  Wow, talk about overload of learning in just a few hours.  We learned about everything from mental health, physical health, finances, nutrition, pharmaceuticals to you name it.  Every doctor, surgeon, counselor, and dietitian asked us about having a live donor. WOW!  How do you ask someone to sacrifice so much for you?  How do you put it in your regular conversation? "Do you have an extra kidney laying around?" "Don't be surprised if you wake up with a big scar and a missing kidney! " :)  Rick's sweet Mother, Betty, had a kidney transplant many years ago.  It gave her a lot of additional great years with her family.  Her kidney came from a deceased donor. I couldn't help but feeling guilty for wanting the demise of someone, so I would not have to ask someone I know. 
I know this is sick and twisted, but it kinda made me laugh.  Allright!!! I really laughed hard!

Anyone who knows us knows that I am the worrier in our relationship and Rick is very calm. Probably the thing I love and hate at the same time.   While I stress over every aspect of the situation, his biggest concern is not being able to have hot dogs and sugary drinks after the surgery  (he loves hot dogs and Kool-Aid).   Rick is a very strong person.  His body has been through a lot.  His life has been spared multiple times.  I am hoping this blog will be positive and inspiring and will help those who may be facing similar challenges.  I am hoping it will capture the special tender mercies that Our Heavenly Father has in store for us.   Please feel free to post positive comments.  We love each and every one of you and thank you for your kindness and prayers on our behalf. 

I know the road may be bumpy ahead, but I am determined that we will enjoy the journey.






3 comments:

  1. Best wishes in finding a perfect donor quickly! Prayers sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't know you were fighting this battle too. We will add you our prayer list!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete